Tuesday 16 February 2010

Anam Cara - Soul Friend

This evening while surfing around the t'interwebs I came across a programme called Sue Johnston's Shangri La, originally broadcast by the BBC on Monday 15th February 2010. In it she say's, "I think what I've never really found in my life is a sense of calm, of being able to just be myself ... I don't think I've ever found tranquility in my life. I think that's really rather what I'm looking for." It stuck me that in modern society with its consumerist ways, its aspirations of material betterment, life can be a running away from and a distraction from the really essentially life affirming aspects of being. I wonder how many other people feel the same as Sue, or who never even imagine, seek or know what being your true self can be.

I was reminded of some words by Parker Palmer talking about the importance of the Soul.



Parker Palmer says, "That we call it something matters alot." And yet no one has the true name. Shakespeare writes in Romeo and Juliet; "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Juliet is telling Romeo it is he who she loves not his name. The suggestion here is labels and names are an artificial and meaningless convention, and that love is shared between living beings and not the name of a person or life form or genus.

Whilst I recognise the contribution labels, facts and figures play in the identification, measurement and communication of information let's not be fooled into thinking that it represents the real deal or that it can fully represent the wholeness of our emotional lives or the experience of our souls, or love. Poets are magicians in finding ways to express our souls desires and yet they too will bow to the mystery and source. Ultimately life is beyond words and it is in the silence that our true selves, our souls can be found. For those like Sue Johnston in search, may you find your true selves and in that discovery feel you have arrived home. And for those who have found their true selves may you treasure this gift and share this with others. As for what you call it ... that's up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment