Tuesday 21 November 2017

In Lak'ech Ala K'in



In Mayan tradition, there is a greeting that goes, 'In Lak'ech Ala K'in'. It's traditional meaning has been translated as 'I am another yourself' or' I am you, and you are me'.

This reminds me of Satish Kumar's book titled 'You are therefore I am', which is a modern day response or reworking of the well known quote of Descarte from the 17th century which stated, 'Cogito ergo sum' (I think therefore I am). This quote by Rene Descarte is attributed to be a symbolic representation of the rationale scientific project separating human kind from everything else living and non-living.

What Satish in his modern idiom and the Mayan's in their traditional ways are doing is reminding us that we are inseparable for one another, from everything. Fundamentally we are part of a web of life and deeply and intrinsically interconnected. What we do to one we do to all. What we do to someone else we are doing to ourselves. Inherent within this notion is held a perennial appreciation of bonding, connectivity and oneness. With this subtlety of knowing every intention, thought, action and deed might more likely be cooperative and regenerative rather than carry any notion of competition, lack or harm.

In Lak'ech Ala K'in

Mitakuye Oyasin

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment