Sunday 18 April 2010

The No Sugar Challenge and Dream One

I decided yesterday to try and not eat sugar for one week. That means no sweets, chocolate, cakes, biscuits or ice-cream. I will eat fruit, yogurts and cereals although I know there is some sugar in them, I do need to be able to eat something of a reasonable diet. I heard it said recently that eating sugar is for some a way of eating their emotions. I'm going to see what sugar represents for me and if my emotions are changed or effected by cutting it out of my diet as much as possible.

On the first night I had a very vivid and effecting dream. In the dream I was mostly observing events as if I was watching them from above or afar, not involved or at least at first I was not involved. There was a young girl and she was cornered by a group of people, and these people seemed bigger than her, more powerful, they were menacing. Their intentions were not loving or caring. They trained a huge powerful water jet on her, freezing cold water was pushing the little girl back into a corner, she had her hands over her face and her arms together in front of her body to protect herself from the powerful icy cold jet of water. And the group of people were watching intently seemingly watching how the little girl was trapped, scared, isolated, alone and hurting. Were they punishing her? What could she have done to deserve this treatment? Why was she being treated in this way?

Eventually I could see wounds opening on her body and blood trickling down her legs in rivulets of red against her white skin. I couldn't understand why she didn't move. I couldn't understand why the group of people were trapping her against the wall in this way. None of it made any sense. And I could not see how this was going to stop. I wanted to stand with my back against the jet of water looking at the girl. I wanted her to see that there was someone there for her. I wanted the pain she was experiencing to stop. The whole scenario being played out was deeply disturbing. Why do people behave in this way? Why do we go too far and hurt people? And what was really effecting is to know that I could be anyone of these people. Any judgement is also a judgement against me. There I am observing, questioning, judging and the over-riding impulse is to do something, take action.

Doing something possibly eased my discomfort. I don't know. Maybe it's not always about working out what is going on, instead it's about working out what to do or how to respond. What I do know is I have been thinking about this all day. And the image of the scene has stuck in my head. And not in a good way. It leaves a threatening residue, a menacing feeling in its trace. Definitely not a warm fuzzy glow!

1 comment:

  1. Can't say your dream is the effect of the (post-Easter?) chocolate deficiency, but have you read the lead up to "the" Easter story? - See those bits in Matthew Chap.27 v.27-31;

    Luke Chap. 23 v 11 - 16 or further

    and MarkChap. 14 v 61-62.

    I'm no preacher, but can't help seeing some kind of parallel here....

    Hope the dreams have improved. If not try a piece of Green and Black's!

    ReplyDelete