Thursday 6 August 2009

Finding our destiny, as explained by Paulo Coelho

OK, let me state upfront, generally I enjoy reading Paulo Coelho, however, the other day I get a Warrior of the Light email written by Paulo on the subject of having patience and courage to wait for your life's purpose, your destiny to be revealed. This I am ok with, but his story to support his claim I am less easy with. Apparently "our destiny is manifesting itself in a way we are not able to fully comprehend. Jorge Luís Borges wrote a masterly short story about this issue. He describes the birth of a tiger that spends a great part of its life in the African wildness but ends up being captured and taken to a zoo in Italy. From then on, the animal thinks his life has lost sense and there is nothing left to do but wait for the day he dies. One fine day, poet Dante Alighieri passes by this zoo, looks at the tiger, and the animal inspires a verse – in the midst of thousands of verses – of "The Divine Comedy." "The entire battle for survival that tiger went through was only so that it could be at the zoo on that morning and inspire an immortal verse,” says Borges."

Someone please explain to me why a tiger should lead a life so far removed from its innate nature and might I humbly add its purpose (destiny) so that one human being, even if they happen to be a person of huge poetic presence, can wander by and be inspired to write a verse on purgatory or hell for the benefit of other human beings. How anthropocentric is that???? First why can't Dante use his vast imagination or might I add his or someone else's life experience to inspire his poetry? Two, if you asked a tiger what they would chose; death or a zoo? - hum, I'll leave you decide on that one. Three, the tiger's battle for survival, for what, to be the walking dead for another day in a zoo - am I missing something here? I can't see how any form of cruelty or incarceration of an animal for human entertainment or even for the purpose of transcendent poetry is valid. The tiger has a far greater intrinsic right to be left alone to be a tiger, whatever that might be, than to serve some human benefit (in my opinion).

No comments:

Post a Comment