Monday 2 January 2017

To Lower The Bar or Not To Lower The Bar

One of my teachers starts morning sessions with the five minute poem. After listening to some inspiring poems we are invited to simply write. What comes from these five minutes is often jaw droppingly incredible. And yet as Martin will say to help those of us nervous to share our scribbles, 'let's lower the bar'. There is a celebration in the poems we offer to the group being awkward, bad or at best just terrible. It's not about the quality of the writing. It is about the act of writing itself. How refreshing and human to allow a welcome space for everything to be ok.

Martin is want to share the story of William Stafford who when asked how does he write such amazing poetry, answers write everyday and lower your expectations.

It's like people who daily vlog on youtube, when you can filter and edit what people see there is the tendency to control and show only the good stuff in their lives, or at least not reveal anything you don't want others to see. Poets publish what they want you to read. We don't see the writing or editing process. Nor do we see those poems that remain in the locked study room draw.

I have decided to let myself off the hook, lower the bar and just write my blog and hit the publish button - come what may. My hope is that at some point in the future with lots of writing experience under my belt combined with a reduction in self consciousness, that my writing will become much closer to what it is I am trying to express.

I have noticed that when I try too hard or push too much my writing is awkward and clunky. Automatic writing still contains a lot of random stuff and to be honest dross, but maybe there will be the occasional sentence or two that I am proud of.

Let's see ...


No comments:

Post a Comment