Monday 16 January 2017

Found

I can't begin to tell you how long I have been searching for this poem. I first came across the poetry of Kevin Gilbert about eight years ago. By chance I came across the poem 'Unity' while meandering the shelves of the Schumacher College library. Books have a habit of finding people (well me) when in that space.

A few years ago the library was reclassified and rearranged afterwards when I looked for the book I could not find it anywhere. Eventually I gave up gravely worried it had been purged during the revamp. There was no hand written index card. There was no presence of it in the poetry section.

Then last year when on a wild camping night my friend Daisy unexpectedly produced the book. We were sat around the camp fire with the moon shining down fro above that night and it felt right to be reading poetry aloud. And there is was Unity. Wow. That moment in itself felt like magic enough.

Fast forward to today. Blue Monday as the second working Monday of the new year is also know. Not always a high point in anyones week, month or year. I am inspired to look for a book in the WL (World Literature) section of the library  ... and there it was Kevin Gilbert 'Black from the Edge'. What? I go back to the index deck and look, no index card. After years of searching there it is, seemingly out of nowhere reappearing on the book shelves agin. It feels like another piece of magic. Thank You Magic.

Here's the poem.


No comments:

Post a Comment