Tuesday 24 February 2009

And my lesson was clear ...

In 2008 whilst filming his BBC series about the Amazon Bruce Parry had his own ayahuasca experience, which was: "Bruce - stop thinking you know better than everyone. Yes, you’ve had some great life experiences and you have a respectable insight to some subjects, but you’ve got to deflate that ego of yours, stop thinking of the clever riposte before the other person has even finished talking. Be in the moment and listen, yes listen to others. It’s not about being better than other people and establishing your place in some invisible hierarchy, it’s about sharing this worldly space with others. Occasional experiences are beyond rational thought. They cannot be explained. We live in difficult times and we are in danger of losing our connection to the natural world. Some answers will only come from listening and experiencing the world in its natural state." I can relate to this very much, as I feel this physical need to get out of my own way, to stop the chattering of my ego and to listen to those around me. I'm finding it hard to do that with the incessant demands of work. In my confused state I think it maybe time to step away from the University and sit awhile and listen until the next action finds me. Enough searching, striving, looking, acting. Now it's time to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment