Saturday 10 July 2010

Twenty Four Hours Later

Through out the day the image of the deer being hit by the car has passed through my mind often. It's shocking. I slept badly and woke early. During the day I've spoken about what happened. I asked myself why I didn't think about stopping afterwards to check out if those involved were ok. I want to think that the deer was killed instantaneously, felt nothing. By this afternoon I was exhausted. I lay down on my bed and eventually fell asleep. As I was beginning to wake up I dreamt about the spirit of the deer rising out of its body. It's cliched and yet it helped me to begin to accept what happened last night. As shocking as it is and as disturbing as it is to see something that violent I feel as though I need to find a way of seeing this not as a random accident but as something that can and does happen to animals when they enter dangerous spaces like motorways. Harsh things happen and lives get lost. What's important is to prevent harm as best as possible and to honour the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment