Wednesday 30 December 2009

Personal values and their relationship with wider society mores ...

Here are some word's on the subject of personal values and their relationship with wider society mores. As you read them you maybe reminded of your own lessons from life;

"I never succeeded in learning much from my school lessons, but with living I learned well ...
I learned that injustice is endemic and is usually made acceptable by being carefully ensconced in tradition.
I learned that all people respond to stories that elevate the human spirit and appeal to our deeper sensibilities.
I learned that without courage and without risk life will pass like sand between our fingers.
I learned that the wild places, the animals, the clouds and the small streams have in them a magic that can heal and comfort.
I learned that friends, true friends, are more powerful than the worst enemy and more valuable than almost anything.
I learned that persistence, the absolute determination never to give up, never to lose hope, never to succumb to cynicism, will always eventually lead to attainment.
I learned that nothing is worse or more dangerous to a man or the world he inhabits than believing beauty be anything less than a goddess.
I learned that I did not have to participate in a world of mortgages, pensions, cars, tedious work and boring relationships.
I learned that in giving we do truly receive, and that to belong we must serve something bigger than ourselves.
I learned that the worst slavery exists in peoples minds and their unwillingness to be self-critical.
I learned that I could have adventure, could love beautiful women, could love children, could find meaning, fulfillment, and joy.
.... if, if, if, if, if ... [I] took a course for the unknown." (p.36)

For more of Mac's story on the invisible path take a look at his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment